1. What do I need to become a volunteer at the Athens Authentic Marathon?
To become a volunteer at the Athens Authentic Marathon, you should be over 18 years old and fill in the volunteer application form.
2. I am a student. Can I become a volunteer at the Athens Authentic Marathon?
No, unless you go to a school or are member of a club that participates in the Volunteering Program of the event. You can also take part if companied by an adult volunteer.
3. When can I submit the volunteer application form for the Athens Authentic Marathon?
The volunteer application form will be available on July 2017 on the website of the event.
4. Until when can I submit the volunteer application form for the Athens Authentic Marathon?
The closing date for the submission of the application is October 12th 2017. However, the later you submit your application, the less your chances are that there will be available volunteer positions.
5. How can I help with the organization?
You may view some information regarding the areas where you can offer your services at the field “Volunteering Sections”.
6. Can I choose the position to which I will be assigned?
Yes, provided that you indicate it on your volunteer application form that you will fill in, in the field "remarks", and as long as that this specific position is available.
7. Can I be assigned to the same position as my friends?
Yes, provided that you indicate it on the volunteer application form that you will fill in, in the field "remarks".
8. How will I be informed about the position to which I have been assigned?
You will receive an e-mail with the description of your position and you will be prompted to accept or deny the specific position.
9. When will I know if I have been selected as a volunteer?
About one month before the event, we will let you know if you have been selected as a volunteer and the area where you will offer your services.
10. I received the event's T-shirt, but eventually I did not participate in the event on the day of the Race. Also, I had not informed the organizer that I was not able to participate. Will there be any problem?
Yes, this will automatically result in your termination from the Volunteering Program. Therefore, the next time you submit an application form, it will not be accepted.
11. How much time do I have to commit on the day of the event?
On the day of the Race, your schedule is approximately 7:00 AM - 17:00 PM, depending on the position to which you have been assigned.
12. Is it compulsory to remain in the position to which I have been assigned until the end?
No, it is not compulsory. Anyway, volunteering is not something you do out of obligation. However, it is essential and absolutely necessary to complete the task you choose to perform.
13. Will I attend any training before participating in the event?
Yes. A few days before the event, you will receive an e-mail regarding the training of volunteers. The training will take place during evening hours.
14. Can I run one of the races and offer my services as a volunteer thereafter?
No. The hours of volunteer service cannot be combined with the runners' racing schedule. Therefore, you should choose between volunteer and runner, not both.
15. What happens if I don't show up on the day of the event?
Failure to show up on the day of the Race will create an irreplaceable void at the position to which you have been assigned, since no one will be able to replace you at that time.
16. I have submitted a volunteer application form but something came up and I would like to cancel my participation. Do I need to inform someone and when?
You should definitely inform the Volunteering Program as soon as possible (no later than 3 days before the Race), so a replacement can be found.
17. I cannot be there on the day of the Race. However, I want to help during the days before the Race, will I be able to do so?
Volunteers must be available on the day of the Race. Your contribution during the days before the race is important but not necessary. ONLY volunteers who will be present on the day of the Race will receive a Certificate of Participation in the event.
18. May I be replaced by a friend or an acquaintance, should I fail to show up?
No. As a preventive measure, all volunteers are insured - using the information contained in their application forms - by the insurance company that insures the staff of the organizer. In the event of an accident, the "non-volunteer" will not be covered by health care insurance.
19. I am a volunteer at the event. Can I bring my children with me on the day of the Race?
On the day of the event, many of the areas where the races take place are overcrowded; therefore your children would need appropriate supervision. If you wish to bring your children with you, it is preferable to choose a support station to offer your services where the environment is relatively safer.
20. What should I wear on the day of the event?
All volunteers must wear the T-shirt of the event and their personal accreditation. It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
21. Is there a personal items storage area available on the day of the event?
No, there is no special personal items storage area and all volunteers are prompted to carry only the items that are absolutely necessary for personal use.
22. If, on the day of the race, the weather is bad, rainy, will the race take place?
The race will take place under any weather conditions unless there are exceptional circumstances that require the delay, the postponement or the cancellation of the race.
23. If the T-shirt sent by the organizer gets lost or ruined, can I replace it with another?
No, it is the responsibility of the volunteer to keep the T-shirt of the event intact until the day of the race.
24. After the event, do I have to return the clothes and the accreditation that I have received?
No. Whatever you receive is a memorabilia of the event.
25. Do I need to have specific skills or qualificationsin order to become a volunteer?
Requirements vary from position to position, however, for many volunteer positions,fluency in English and eagerness to acquire new experiences is essential. It should be noted that,as far as the medical services are concerned, volunteers should be properly trained in the respective medical field.
26. To apply for a volunteering position at the Athens Authentic Marathon, do I have to stay in Athens or originate from Athens?
No, as long as you arrange your accommodation in Athens yourselves. Besides, volunteers who participate in the event come from all over Greece.
27. How can I be sure that I receive the e-mails sent by the Volunteering Program?
The Volunteering Program occasionally sends group e-mails. Please be aware that several e-mail service providers and spam filters redirect our e-mails to the Spam / Junk mail folders of the users or even prevent their receipt. For this reason we advise you to monitor both your e-mail and your spam folder.
28. Will I receive a participation certificate after the completion of the event?
Yes, provided that you have participated on the day of the race and that your team leader has recorded your presence. Approximately one month after the end of the event, you will be able to print out your participation certificate online. Instructions on the printing of the certificate will be sent by e-mail.